Session Guitarist, Multi-instrumentalist, Producer, Composer
Mike Chais is a session guitarist, multi-instrumentalist, writer/composer and producer originally hailing from Baltimore, MD. At the young age of two, his parents discovered a natural musical aptitude and enrolled him in classical piano study at the Peabody Institute. Ten years later he fell in love with the guitar and was playing in college bands before high school. Mike’s next move would be to obtain a Business degree from Western Maryland College with a Minor in Jazz Guitar. While attending, Chais performed every semester with the Jazz Combo, Big Band and produced three albums with two original bands in parallel. The live performing continued after graduation along with a ten month Audio Engineering certification at the Sheffield Institute in Phoenix, MD.
Anxious to learn more about the music industry, Mike accepted a position as Session Guitarist and Business Development Manager at a growing new custom music company called Selectracks. Given that the company was bi-coastal, he jumped on the opportunity to venture across the country to Los Angeles circa 2003. The custom scoring for film and TV projects commenced with a fury, but this was also the kickoff of an ~18 year journey, primarily focused on original music.
Mike’s first LA band, ‘Revolutionary Side Effects’ performed at the 2007 Wakarusa Festival in Lawrence, KS. ‘RSE’ also supported many notable artists around the USA, including but not limited to: Maceo Parker (James Brown), Robert Randolph, Les Claypool (Electric Apricot) and The New Mastersounds. A few years later, Chais became a primary member of the Miles Evans Band (Son of Gil Evans), performing and recording among the likes of Darryl Jones (Rolling Stones), Steve Ferrone (Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers), Bernie Dresel (Brian Setzer Orchestra) and a plethora of world renown musicians. This experience also spawned a friendship and the creation of a small record label with NYC-based guitar wizard, Oz Noy. Over the next ~8 years, Mike produced and performed both as a solo artist and with various original bands before making the move eastward in early 2021.
Mike is presently producing original music at The Chais Lounge Studio. If you listen really closely you can probably hear him looping as you’re reading this!
Full Band List
Included, you’ll find genre info and some other cool stuff worth noting.
Los Angeles-Based Original Bands:
- 97 Northe – Acoustic Duo
- Revolutionary Side Effects – Funk/Jazz/Groove/Improv – Multiple EP’s
- Mike Blumberg (Solo Artist) – Pop – Single “Steady Ground”
- Hillwilliam – Alt. Country – EP – “I’m All In” Featured on the Baltimore Episode of “Drunk History”!
- Dan Coakley Band – Supported Shooter Jennings
- The Deep Under – Instrumental Funk Trio – EP
- Rebel House Radio – Rock/Funk – Full length album “One More Day” – Find us on Pandora!
- The HEAVY WAITS – Instrumental Funk/Jazz/Improv – EP – Supported the legendary Charles Wright “Express Yourself” AND Angelo Moore “Dr. Mad Vibe” of Fishbone!
Other Los Angeles-Based Bands:
- Miles Evans Band (Son of Gil Evans) – Jazz/Fusion – Full length album
- The Neil Deal (Neil Young Tribute) – Rock – EP & Live album
Baltimore-Based Original Bands:
- 2 Lb. Browne – Rock/Pop – Full length album
- The Hank – Rock/Pop – 2 full length albums